Today, almost every home has a desktop computer, plus there’s also a laptop, tablet, and other devices. Even for a modern person, several devices serve different tasks. Any equipment cannot function properly forever and sooner or later fails, sometimes after serving yours, sometimes early. But what if at the most inopportune moment I summarized the computer monitor? The situation is not critical when the devices are interchangeable, but in some cases, using a laptop instead of a PC does not solve the problem; for example, if there is any important information on the hard drive, you should continue working, complete the project, etc. There are different ways to transfer data. When the necessary information is in captivity of the system drive, the option to use a laptop as a monitor involves obtaining information without extracting the hard drives. It also happens that it is necessary to connect a second monitor, which is not available, for example, for transmission or other purposes. The user wondered if it is possible to use a laptop as a monitor may be different.
Setting up a laptop as a monitor for a computer.
Using a laptop as a monitor for a computer
What methods can be connected
A laptop has typical components of a stationary PC, including a display, making sense that the method exists. And it exists, and not even alone. Since the devices, each work on their own system, simply connecting the system drive to the laptop will fail, even if there are suitable connectors. Despite its enthusiasm, the device will load its own operating system. For one device to display information that comes from the other, its operation must be synchronized. Having only one PC system drive and one laptop is not enough. Additional funds will be required to implement the plan to provide connectivity. Consider how to use a laptop as a monitor in different ways.
To connect via the cable, you must purchase the appropriate cable. The connection is made through the HDMI, VGA, or DVI video ports, depending on the version compatible with the devices. Modern devices can be equipped with a DisplayPort connector, an alternative to HDMI. You can also use an adapter if the device ports do not match.
You can make the laptop work as a display using HDMI, VGA, or DVI video ports. To do this, the following actions are performed:
- The cable is connected at one end to the corresponding laptop port, the other to the computer connector;
- We start the laptop and go to the “Screen Parameters” conveniently, for example, through the Control Panel. You can access the settings section in different ways, depending on the version of Windows. You can go to “Properties” by right-clicking on the desktop context menu, selecting “Screen Properties,” and opening the “Settings” tab.
In the case of macOS, open the “System Settings” and go to the “Monitors” tab; the remaining actions are similar to Windows manipulations;
- The system will detect the connected devices, so there will be an image with multiple numbered screens in the Display configuration element. Here we select the second one and install the laptop screen;
- Mark the visual data display points;
- If you plan to use the laptop as a monitor for the computer by default, check the “Use this device as the primary” item.
In addition, devices can connect via Ethernet ports, in which case the method involves creating a local area network. For connection, portable Ethernet connectors and system drives are used. We will need a suitable cable (twisted pair) on both Ethernet connectors (RJ 45 standard). The cable usually has a length of 0, 5 to 15 meters, sufficient for the procedure. We connect one end of the cable to the LAN port of the laptop and the other to the same connector on the computer’s network card.
Remote access via software
The laptop on the seventh Windows and above can be connected to the system drive and wirelessly, using the Air Display app. The software is installed and activated on both devices. With the help of the program, you can change the screens and also apply them simultaneously. Using a laptop as a monitor is possible when using remote access programs such as TeamViewer, RDesktop, ZoneOS ZoneScreen, RAdmin, etc. With your help, you will use the display remotely. Any of the applications has its own settings; you need to install the software on your PC and laptop. When a connection is established, one device becomes the server. The other becomes the client, and when you perform actions from the master device, everything displayed on the server screen is displayed on the client screen. Pairing devices with TeamViewer is easy. To do this, you need to know the password and computer ID assigned when you run the application on it. In the program window running on a laptop, you will need to enter this data in the corresponding fields. After that, the PC desktop with the ability to control it will be available on the laptop screen, while a handling condition is a working computer monitor. Otherwise, the method is not appropriate.
Pairing devices via wi-Fi wireless transmission
An alternative to wired connectivity is a Wi-Fi connection. The method is suitable when a stationary PC is equipped with a Wi-Fi module, there is no cable, or you do not want to use it. Wi-Fi is integrated into almost all laptop models, with rare exceptions (then you can connect an external module as a USB device). To use the laptop screen as a monitor, do the following:
- We activate the Wi-Fi module on the laptop as well as the stationary PC. In the absence of one on the computer, you can buy a module with the ability to connect to a USB or PCI connector. It is best to choose a USB device, as the module that is connected to the PCI port on the motherboard is not always convenient to use;
- We create a wireless network on one of the devices;
- To do this, go to network and sharing center through Control Panel;
- Select the “Create and configure a connection or network” item;
- In the new Installation Wizard window, select a manual connection from the list of options;
- Fill in the fields (network name, security type, password), check the auto start point when connected, click “Next”;
- The manipulations performed to provide the creation of a network started in automatic mode. Once everything is ready, you can connect from the second device.
You can also use a router that allows you to connect multiple devices simultaneously and combine them. Making a laptop monitor for the system drive with the help of Wi-Fi transfer can help a special program called MaxiVista. You pay, but you can use the version to familiarize yourself with the trimmed functionality. Once the software is installed, the modules must be configured remotely with the indication of the monitor sequence.
Why can’t a laptop be used as a monitor for the system drive?
Using a laptop instead of a monitor without special equipment will not work. If your device is not equipped with a video input (connector inherent in conventional monitors), use a wireless connection. Most laptops, as they are also computers, are equipped with video output. Deploying the plan will not work with incompatibility devices. You can use a laptop as a computer monitor with the help of a special converter. Their cost is high enough, so such actions are not always appropriate. At the same time, there are enough ways to get the image output on the laptop screen by other means, and you can use any of them.